Selfmade Samoas lady Scout Cookies. I don’t think I’ve ever typed sweeter words in my existence. move over Pepperoni Pizza Pull-aside Bread due to the fact mama’s were given a new favorite recipe, and it entails the right ratio of cookie and coconut to caramel and chocolate.
As some distance as I’m concerned, there are two styles of people in the global: Samoas fanatics and thin Mint lovers. you’re one or the alternative. You cannot be both. I picked my side two many years in the past during my days as a Daisy and a Brownie. group Samoas for existence.
We’ve Instructables to thank for this recipe. just imagine a buttery shortbread base piled excessive with a combination of toasted coconut and caramel that’s dunked and drizzled in dark chocolate. The result is a selfmade take on the enduring lady Scout cookie, on the whole most effective available some months out of the yr. So stop hoarding the ones purple boxes and loose up that freezer space via baking up candy and chewy Samoas from scratch.
FOR THE COOKIES:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE COCONUT TOPPING:
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 15 ounces store-bought or homemade soft caramels
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
MAKE THE COOKIES:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with the paddle attachment, cream collectively the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In three increments, add the flour combination to the creamed butter, mixing among every addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. upload the milk and vanilla extract, mixing until mixed and the dough begins to come back together in large pieces.
- Use your palms to divide the dough in half of, pressing it collectively to compact it into disks. Wrap the disks securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate them until firm, approximately 1 hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll every disk out onto a lightly floured floor until it is 1/8-inch thick. reduce out as many cookies as viable with a doughnut-shaped cookie cutter. (See Kelly’s Notes for cookie cutter options.) place the cut-out cookies on a Silpat or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet half of-way through, until the cookies are pale golden brown. switch the cookies to a twine wrack to chill absolutely.
MAKE THE COCONUT TOPPING:
- Spread the coconut flakes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the coconut for about 10 mins in a 350ºF oven until toasted, stirring frequently to make certain even browning and in order that it does no longer burn. (See Kelly’s Notes.) eliminate the toasted coconut from the oven and set it aside.
- Soften the caramels, milk and salt in a double-boiler by means of placing the caramels in a medium saucepot set over a massive saucepot of simmering water. prepare dinner, stirring, until the caramels are completely melted. get rid of the saucepot from the heat and combine 3/4 of the caramel with the toasted coconut in a large bowl.
- Cautiously spread the remaining 1/4 cup of caramel atop the cooled cookies then press on a portion of the coconut combination. let the cookies cool for half-hour. If the caramel-coconut combination thickens too much at any factor whilst urgent it onto the cookies, return it to the double-boiler and warm it until it’s spreadable once more.
- Soften the dark chocolate in a double-boiler or within the microwave. Dip the bottoms of the cookies in the chocolate and location them on a wax paper-covered baking sheet. Use a fork to drizzle the tops with chocolate. allow the cookies sit till the chocolate hardens fully.